Sunday, December 22, 2013

Minecraft>human interaction

There are guests at my house right now.  Two families, both with younger kids (3-8).  I was fully prepared to engage and play with them.  All my Sunday school and babysitting training was to be put to good use today (for once).  But when they arrived... They sat down on the couch, pulled out iPads and iPhones, and started building their worlds and then blowing it up in Minecraft.  First of all, just blowing things up with TNT in Minecraft gets boring pretty quick, I don't see how they do it for so long. 
More importantly, what happened to interacting with people?  Like the clumsy teenage host that was ready to tolerate children for a day? 
Before they arrived I was texting a friend, and was prepared to tell her that I needed to stop texting for a bit to entertain guests.  But after seeing my unwanted usefulness, I decided not to stop the conversation.  Besides, I like talking with her (same girl that I talked about in my post "FINISH YOUR WORK!").
All the adults were not interested in conversation with me, and when I sat down with them, the conversation turned into small talk.  They were obviously not willing to talk with me, even if I made the effort to be entertaining.  They came to see my parents, the people who invited them. 
So here I am in my room typing this out while the adults chat and the children play... By themselves. And only themselves.   
In my defense, I tried.  I asked two of them, "want to go upstairs to the playroom?  We have lots of toys and games we could play".  My responses were "no thanks" and "wait, I need to finish the TNT tower". 
In my opinion, the kids were prepared for today in two possible ways:
-Give them electronics to keep them quiet.
-Train them to use electronics so they keep quiet on their own. 
Probably both. 
I'm just thinking, what's the point in bringing your kids with you just to have  them look at and tap a screen all day? 
Another thing that just makes me mad...

No comments:

Post a Comment