Thursday, December 19, 2013

Sorry if I don't use your name.

So recently my parents have clamped down and pressured me to say their titles when I talk to them.  This is normal; understandable for most parents.  Its basic respect for a child to say the name of the person they are addressing.  However, there are some points where it's not necessarily... Necessary. 
You should address the person:
You see a friend at the mall, but they don't see you.  So you call out to them.  Using their nameNot just "hey you!".  At least that's what's expected.  Some people insult them to get attention, or some other creative way that I'm not ready to think of right now...
You don't have to address the person:
Teacher: did you finish your homework?
You: yes/no... (Depending what type of student you are)
It was not absolutely necessary to say "Yes, Mrs. Johnson, I finished.  The last episode of Bleach.  Finally." You can just say yes or no.  But my parents think that should an situation such as greetings occur, I must address them. It has become a rule in the house:
"Hi Austin."
"Hi."
"WHATS MY NAME WHY DIDNT YOU SAY IT AM I JUST A PIECE OF MATTER EXISTING HERE AND THATS IT ARRGGFHAHCJRNSPEJEBEE"
...Well that's definitely a hyperbole but you get the point. 
Actually, if I don't use your name in unnecessary name addressing situations, I think its a sign of familiarity.  It means I'm comfortable with you and that I don't need to be so formal and have my guard up.  Guarding what, I'm not entirely sure. Still have to figure that out. 
I address people I'm not so familiar with, but still know their names.  Like... Classmates.  A couple days back before class: "Morning Janelle." If it was any of my friends, I would have simply grogged out a "morning" or "hi", because I'm usually not awake yet.  Sometimes, if I'm really not ready for human daytime function yet, I don't even say anything. 
So to my parents, please don't be offended if I don't say your name when not necessary.  I'm not trying to insult or disrespect you.
Then there's a last group of people who I actually address with their name, when unnecessary.  However, its different than the acquaintances mentioned above.  These people are special, precious.  They mean a lot to me.  I may not use this all the time with them, but when I use it, I'm a little conscious of who I say it to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment