Sunday, January 12, 2014

Awks...

This one's going to be a weird because it's flippin hard to put down what I have in mind right now. 
Recently, I had a conversation that made the other person feel really awkward.  However, I was perfectly fine.  Maybe because the other person said something that could be potentially embarrassing.  I thought, "it's fine, I don't feel awkward at all".  Right there, I had an epiphany...
I have done a pretty good job of eliminating common social awkwardness.  Such as saying goodnight and then starting another conversation,  passing other people when on a walk, going the same direction when trying to pass by each other, receiving/giving compliments to strangers, taking constructive criticism from an equal, or walking the same direction after saying goodbye.  A while ago I did exactly the last one with a friend, and she said it didn't feel awkward whatsoever because I didn't make it awkward.  Same went for a couple other people...
I came up with the idea that it takes two to feel awkward about your situation with another.  In person that is...
But over text or chat, you cannot read and feel expression as easily.  It's hard.  There is no vibe given from text, no facial expression, no observable body language like confidence and how the other carries themselves. 
I just think that if you have something important to say, do it in person.  It's easier to interpret, more expressive, and if you feel awkward, at least it will either be with someone else, or they will help you feel less awkward. 
Gah it's so hard to explain.  Time for sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment