Thursday, January 16, 2014

Take what helps you!

The other day the missions class at school had a rehearsal for their band.  I'm not in their band or class, but being a senior and having experience in music, I decided that I would sit in to listen, enjoy, play along, and make suggestions.  I figured it would be better than playing alone. 
Unfortunately a girl (one of their singers) that was there didn't want my help.  I have no problem with people asking me not to help them, if they're respectful.  But the way the girl put it was... Personally aggravating.  She didn't mean any disrespect, but what she said kind of rubbed me the wrong way. 
She told me to stop singing because it was "messing her up".  Which I don't understand at all... Because the help I was trying to give was a basic skill: singing the melody.  The part everyone would sing along to.  I knew the song, and how it should go and sound.  And I was trying to help the rather disorganised band get that down first.  But the singer who asked me to leave was getting rid of her help... That doesn't make sense to me.  If she needs the melody and realises it, why would she want to get rid of the person who can help her?
...it was just aggravating.  I didn't see her logic, but she didn't kick me out with a bunch of attitude.  So I just left. 
After that I played out my frustration.  And decided that playing alone for that day was better after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment