Tuesday, June 3, 2014

To my math teacher

Where I live, final year high school math is divided into three levels: 30-2, 30-1, and 31.  30-2 is for students who do not need higher math for university, or simply would like that level of challenge.  30-1 is is the harder course, mandatory for students aiming to be doctors of lawyers.  Math 31 is calculus, essential for aspiring engineers and such.  Being the failure of an Asian I am, I naturally took math 30-2.  A good mark in 30-2 would look a lot better than a barely passing mark in 30-1 on my transcript, so I took the path that would suit me better (despite my parent's protest).

Now you must understand that there is a joke in my school that creates a social divide of -1 and -2 students (well, not quite a social divide, but I think you get the idea).  -2 is always referred to as the "not as smart class".  In some ways, I must agree.  However, I think it's more like the -2 class is less motivated to work.  Maybe it's because they feel like they can't accomplish as much because they are in a -2 class.  Or maybe it's because they simply don't care.  Whatever their reason, the majority of the -2 class I am currently in doesn't take the course seriously.  They joke around, talk while the teacher is teaching, and play against each other in various games on their phones.

My math teacher is a pretty patient guy.  Or maybe a better description is "extremely tolerant".  Most of my classmates clearly don't give a crap about math, and have barely done any work. 
My teacher has never taken anyone's cellphone away.  He's never vocalized his frustration to the lack of attention paid to the lesson, nor the lack of respect.  He's never yelled at any of us.  He's always kept his cool... but sometimes it doesn't work.  The other day, he stopped talking in the middle of a quiz review to try get a chatty group's attention... you know, the "silence-to-get-your-student's-attention" method.  It didn't really work that well.  He stood at the board for a good two minutes (yes, 120 seconds) before it quieted down a bit.  Even after that, he still had to interrupt and ask them if we were good to continue.  Of course, the automated response was given, he carried on, and the students continued chatting.

The poor guy needs a break.  He's not a bad teacher at all; I'm doing well in his class, fully understanding him.  If people would actually pay attention to him, they wouldn't think he is such a bad teacher.  I can't imagine how it is like being a teacher losing sleep over how your students might do on a provincial exam worth half their grade.

So to my extremely tolerant teacher: on behalf of my classmates, I apologize for their irresponsibility.  Your seemingly unending patience is greatly appreciated by at least me, if no one does.  Even though I hate the idea of graduating, I enjoyed working with you this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment